Testing - Best Practices
Understanding the referral program development process
Test vs Live
Each Referral SaaSquatch Program has two modes: Live and Test. These modes (tenants) both play an important role in the lifecycle of your referral program.
The functionality of your live and test tenants are designed to be very similar so that there are as few changes as possible when transitioning from your test to live environment.
The intended use of each of your tenants can be summarized as follows:
Example Development Process
The following flow chart provides an example of what a development process could look like when integrating your referral program into your product:
Example Development Process Explanation
|1. Design||Planning a software solution (to launch a referral program)|
|2. Development||Creating of the software intended to lauch a referral program|
|3. Unit (Local) Testing||Testing that each of the components of the referral program functions as intended.|
|4. Deploy to Staying Environment||Once the referral program has passed initial testing it can be deployed to the staging environment|
|5. Integration (Staging) Testing||Testing how the referral program works in conjunction with the rest of your platform.|
6. Quality Assurance
||Ensuring the all the goals of the project (to launch a referral program) have been completed to a satisfactory level, and that the solution works as expected.|
7. Live Tenant Transition Testing
||Once the referral program has been confirmed to be working as intended a transition can be made from using your test to live tenant.|
8. Live Referral Program
||With your referral program configured to use your live tenant you can publish it from your staging environment to your production environment.|
|9. Optimization||Launching your referral program is only the first step in running a successful referral program. As you begin to generate traffic you can begin to optimize your referral program to make it even more successful.|
Your referral program portal provides access to the configuration settings for both your test and live tenants.
Details about functionality in the portal can be found in our Using Referral SaaSquatch article.
Your referral SaaSquatch program makes dubugging on your Test tenant easier by exposing additional logging.
Our Squatch.js Library provides the following debugging tools to help you work out issues as you impliment your referral program:
Error codes displayed in the widget help to identify any problem as when displaying the widget:
Status updates, and error messages, are displayed on the console to help troubleshoot as you call squatch.js methods:
Your test tenant you also provides the ability to delete test data.
Data that WILL be deleted:
- Users, accounts, and referrals
- Analytics events
The following data WILL NOT be deleted:
- Any data stored in external payment systems (e.g. Stripe/Recurly)
- Your SaaSquatch Account (including accounts of your other team members
- Your theme and widget customizations
- Your program settings, like reward settings, and API keys
To access this functionality:
- Select Settings under the Setup menu in the Sidebar
- Click Delete Test Data
- Toggle the I would like to delete my test data toggle from No to Yes
- Click Delete.
Please note: Data on the Live tenant cannot be deleted.
If you would like to dive deeper into the world of Referral Programs and our platform, we recommend checking out the following articles:
- Learn more about the structure of a referral program in our How Referral SaaSquatch Works article.
- Explore more of the configuration options available in the SaaSquatch Portal in our Using Referral SaaSquatch article.
- Learn more about how to protect your referral program against unwanted referral activity by reading up on our Security Management System.
- Our SaaS Guide provides details, examples and further detail on how to integrate the SaaSquatch referral program in your product.