Navigating the Referral SaaSquatch Portal
This guide acts as an expansion of our primer, Using Referral SaaSquatch. This page will cover the major settings that are available in the sub-menu populated by clicking on each section in the main navigation bar.
The sub-menu that populates under the main navigation bar provides comprehensive access to your program settings divided into the following four sections:
Note: This portion of the guide will only be accurate for the program menu as it displays for a classic referral program, seen below:
To read about Growth Automation Program Widget management, see our GA Program Setup Quickstart page.
Under Programs in the top navigation, select Widget.
This section of the portal will display a live render of your program's referral widget. This render is identical to the embedded or popup (live or test depending on the tenant) version of the widget which can be included in a webpage. This render provides a preview of the layout and messaging for your widget with pre-filled test data that does not reflect real statistics.
The Sidebar on the right hand side provides options to change various visual aspects of the widget:
- The Customize your Widget section offers options to change the wording, colors, and font of your referral widget.
- The Share Messaging section lets you adjust the default wording for email, Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms' share messages your users share with their friends and family. This will update the share messaging in the widget and in the notification emails.
- The Widget Preview options allow you to change the language and locale of the test render of your referral widget being displayed in the portal. This option can be extremely useful when trying to quickly test what your widget will look like when displayed to your users around the world. Want to get started with Internationalization? Contact Sales to find out more about our powerful internationalization offerings.
To read about Growth Automation Program Email management, see our GA Program Setup Quickstart page.
This section will allow you to customize notification emails that are sent to your program participants. Email notifications can be sent out to referrers when:
- A friend signs up to trial (
- Their referred users completed the referral and the referrer’s reward is ready (
- A user earns a reward (
Options for changing Email Notification settings can be found in Emails under the Programs on the main navigation.
All of the email types offer a wide range of possible customization changes to the default email template.
It is also possible to enable/disable any of the email types.
The email templates can be edited to fit your program requirements.
Changes can be made to:
- From Name
- From Address
- Header Image URL
- Header Content
- Body Content
- Share Code CTA
- Share Button Header
- Ability to include share links.
Options are also available to:
- Preview changes
- Send a test version of the email to a specific email address
- Publish changes
- Restore the default values.
Our developer documentation provides further information about email notifications.
The preview option for each of the email event types provides a render of a desktop and mobile version of the referral email. It is also possible to test the email preview render with a different language and locale provided you program is configured correctly for internationalization.
The Settings section provides the ability to configure Program Settings, Reward Settings and Program Display Settings.
To read about Growth Automation Program Settings, see our GA Program Setup Quickstart page.
- Company Name
This field will be displayed in your referral widget and notification emails so make sure it is simple and recognizable to your customers.
- Landing Page
The referral landing page is where the share links will direct people who are referred to your product. Often this is your main webpage, other times this is a specialized referral welcome/signup page.
Note: Please make sure to include the
https:// at the front of the URL.
If you have setup your referral program with Branch Metrics for mobile deep linking then this referral landing page will only apply to your desktop user. Users accessing a share link on mobile will be directed to the the app store or your mobile app as setup in your branch settings. More information on our integration can also be found in our documentation.
- Fallback URL
The fallback URL is the address of where your users should be directed in the case of a broken sharelink when a project is making use of a custom short domain.
To read about Growth Automation Program Reward Settings, see our GA Program Setup Quickstart page.
This option gives you the ability to adjust the value of the rewards that will be given out to referral participants upon the successful completion of a referral.
You can adjust the referrer and referred user rewards independantly of one another for added customization.
Please note: Changing your program rewards will only apply to future rewards. Existing rewards will not be changed.
Program Display Settings
Referral Programs created after November 2016 will include additional settings in the portal for configuring displaying the referral widget when making use of our squatch.js V2 library.
These settings allow you to configure which pages on your website you want to display the referral program, and what pages you would like to use as a conversion trigger.
- Conversion URL(s)
When you referred users have hit the goalpost for your referral program their referral needs to be converted to release the reward for the referrer. Read more about the core topics that make up a referral program in our How Referral SaaSquatch Works article.
This conversion mechanism can be triggered for a referral when a referred user lands on a specific page. This page can be set with the Conversion URL field. You can also set multiple conversion URLs.
- Widget Display Rules
The Widget Display Rule settings can be used to configure what type of widget will be displayed on which page.
There are two types of widgets that can be displayed using the Widget Display Rules: the Referrer Widget, and the Referred User Widget.
To display a widget:
- Select the type of widget you would like the Display Rule to trigger (
Referred User Widget).
- The URL on which you would like to show the widget.
- Place element on the page to trigger popup.
- The Widget can also be displayed as a CTA rather than a Popup. If so, check the Show CTA option.
- Click add rule.
You can add as many widget display rules as you would like to display the widget throughout your product.
The referral feed provides a list of recent referral events for your program.
Information available in the referral feed includes:
- Date - The date refererral event took place on
- Referring User - The name and email of the referrer
- Referred User - The name and email of the referred user
- Referral Status - The status of the referral connection
- Moderation Status - The moderation status of the referral
The analytics section of the portal provides a wide range of rich data which can be used to review the activity and progress of your program.
The program overview includes statistics for the referral funnel from both the referrer and referred user perspectives.
This data can be filtered based on a specific timeframe (Today, Last 30 days, All time, etc.)
- Unique Visitors
- Active Referrers
- Successful Referrers
- Referred Visitors
- Referred users
- Referred Conversions
- Registered Participants
The engagement medium is the version of the referral program widget/end user experience that a user interacted with.
The share medium is the network or channel that a referral was made on.
The Map functionality in the analytics displays geographical information that is available for the users of your referral program.
Full details about the information available through our Analytics platform can be found in the Success Center.
The Security Management System section of the portal allows for configuration of the referral moderation process which helps prevent fraudulent referrals.
The Sections here include:
- Pending Referrals - List of Pending referrals including any applicable fraud criteria
- Referral History - List of Historical Approved and Denied referrals
Security options can be configured via the link on the top-right hand corner:
- Global - Security settings for all programs, including Growth Automation
- General - Configuration options for what to do "When fraudulent activity is suspected on a referral" (classic programs only)
- Criteria - Toggle on or off the criteria analyzed for fraudulent behaviour (classic programs only)
- Advanced - Set the default referral status settings for incoming referrals (classic programs only)
- IP Blocking - Manage & search blocked IP addresses/ranges (all programs)
These options can also be accessed from the Implementation sub-menu.
Referral Participants Tab
The list on this page includes users who:
- Had their referral link clicked by a referred user
- Referred a user to trial
- Have a referred user convert to paid
Users in this tab can be sorted by any of these three metrics. For a full list of participants that do not meet any of the above criteria, see the main Participants tab.
This section houses Analytics and the ability to retrieve more detailed information on your program.
This tab provides a place to bulk upload and extract report data, as well a history of any Import or Export jobs listed in chronological order listed by:
- Job Name
- Creation Date
Reports listed here are available to be downloaded again for a period of 30 days.
See more about bulk user importing in our guide here.
Selecting a user provides information such as their:
- Full name
- Referral code(s)
- Referral link(s)
- User & Account Ids
- Creation date
- Information on the referrals they have made, as well as any rewards they may have earned for any programs
Clicking on the Manage User link opens a popup where:
- Name and email can be updated
- Referral Status can be changed (or Payment Provider ID added)
- A referral can be attributed
- A manual reward can be created
Also: See our guide on User Segmentation.
This page allows you to perform mass redemption of rewards for your users.
See more about bulk redeemption in our guide here.
This section houses all the global settings for all your programs.
See Security for a review of what the security options offer.
This sub-menu also provides access to our Code Manager for Fuel Tank enabled programs. For use of our Code Manager, see the Custom Rewards Fuel Tank guide.
The install page includes:
- Program identifying information (Tenant Alias)
- Details for connecting your product to Referral SaaSquatch (API Key, Widget Quickstart Guide)
- Configuration for connecting your program with a payment provider (if applicable; classic programs only)
- Tenant Security Settings
The test or live tenant alias are used when connecting to the Referral SaaSquatch system to identify which program (and tenant) is being referenced.
The API keys (different in live and test tenants) are often used when connecting your Referral SaaSquatch program to other platforms, or generating checksums used in making signed requests to our system.
Payment Provider (like Stripe and Recurly) integration is also configured on this page. The Referral SaaSquatch payment provider integrations offer a easy to configure way to connect your referral program with your existing payment provider. These integrations are able to automatically track subscriptions and fulfill rewards.
The Tenant Security Settings allow you to adjust your overall or modular Open Endpoint Security options. Learn more about this function at our Signed Requests page.
This page allows you to change your official Company Name that shows up in your communications to users. If your company name differs from your product name, we suggest entering your product name instead.
Changing this setting on test will not affect the name of your overall project, but changing your Company Name on live will reflect in your project drop-down list.
Webhooks allow for specific URLs to be notified of events related to your referral program using a subscription layer on a REST API. Referral SaaSquatch supports delivering these event notifications to multiple endpoints.
To add a webhook endpoint click the Create Webhook button, choose a URL (including the "http://" or "https://", and a name for the endpoint, then click Create Webhook.
Learn more about our webhooks, including in-depth examples, in our developer documentation.
Referral SaaSquatch supports integrations with a range of business apps.
Detailed setup instructions for configuring our integration with Branch, Silverpop, setting up SMTP, or default email handling can be found in our developer documentation.
This page allows you to delete the data associated with your test tenant.
WARNING: Making use of this feature will delete data from all programs under the test tenant.
Data that WILL be deleted:
- Users, accounts and referrals
- Analytics events
The following data WILL NOT be deleted:
- Any data stored in external payment systems (i.e. Stripe/Recurly)
- Your SaaSquatch account (including users, settings, and API keys)
- Your classic theme and widget customizations
- Your classic program details (i.e. discount amount)